Wednesday

V.D.

No… not venereal disease silly.
Valentine’s Day!!

Some people dread it like the flu. Others require very little urging to do something kind for their loved ones, and find Valentines Day just another wonderful excuse.

I happen to fall into the latter of categories, because I can think of no better holiday than one that’s sole purpose is to celebrate LOVE. Whether it be the love you have for your partner, child, parents, or friends, there’s a Hallmark card just waiting on the shelf with their name on it.

When it all boils down to it, love is what makes the world go around. It’s what matters the most in a society full of opportunities to skew your priorities and focus on all the wrong things. We tend to neglect the ones we are the closest too, saving manners and polite social etiquette for strangers we pass in the mall. We forget to say thank you to our partners for doing the dishes for a change, or making sure the laundry is done. We neglect to comment on how smashing they look in their new outfit today, or how nice the project is turning out that they’ve been working on all week. We hop into bed, exhausted at the end of the day, and start to read or watch television…forgetting to wrap our arms around one other in a warm inviting hug. Isn’t it after all, these little things that made the relationship so wonderful in the beginning?

Feeling loved and loving others is for me, the most important aspect of life and so I celebrate Valentines Day in all of its commercial glory…without bitterness, or dread. I decorate the dinner table with red, and serve heart shaped goodies. We eat chocolate, and exchange cards, I make sure my Valentines know how special they are to me, and how much I love them… each and every day of the year.