NO!
NO!
N-
O-
NO!
No, No, No!
Which part of NO do you not understand?
The “N”
or the “O”?
NO!
(shhh don't interrupt me... I'm practicing something I apparently have a hard time saying!)
NO!
Absolutely not!
Don't even ask!
NO
NO
NOOO!
Nope.
(How am I doing?)
While I openly admit that making decisions is a weakness of mine.... Saying NO is just as difficult. Unfortunately, this is negatively compounded by the frequent urge to “give” or “help” out others who are struggling with some sort of personal crisis.
While being a “giver” in itself is not a bad thing, possibly even considered a noble trait by some, it adversely comes with a down side, illustrated in this simple statement.
The number of “takers” increases exponentially to the level of weakness, or inability to say “no” exhibited by the part of the “giver”.
That is to say that if you are considered a giver...at any given moment there will be a line of people outside of your home, wanting something from your life. Someone who uses you for their own personal gain whether it be by borrowing money, seeking shelter, or by the consumption of resources. The worse part is that these “takers” do so without the first sign of conscious, or remorse for their behavior, choosing instead to continually ask, borrow and consume.
I realize that everyone, at some point or another, can find themselves down on their luck and in need of a helping hand. I think it's our duty to help them, as fellow human beings. What I'm talking about in this instance though is something a bit more chronic. The person who habitually needs because they find it easier to use others than to fend for themselves. The lingering house guest, the perpetual borrower, the incessant individual who seems to consume with no remorse. And yet I can't seem to find the strength to say no, when it becomes too much, or out of balance. When the situation seems to drain the life force from my person.
I can only hope that in the meantime, God will look down onto me in a favorably manner... and that when I arrive at the pearly gates of Heaven, (bankrupt and drained) She will wipe my worried brow and welcome me inside for the most awesome cup of hot chocolate,
topped with whipped cream,
on the house...
of course.
Are you a giver or a taker? Have you ever been taken advantage of... or felt used.??


|