Saturday

The Funny Red Fez

Remember the Flintstones?

I’m not sure if they still show that cartoon these days, but I remember watching it a lot as a kid.

Fred and Barney were a member of a Lodge, "The Loyal Brotherhood of Water Buffalos" and wore funny hats and had silly greetings to recognize their fraternity “brothers”, …. which was in essence, a spoof of the Shriners.

I come from a long line of Shriner men. The funny red hat,
Posted by Hellowhile maybe a tad odd looking, in my eyes represents My Grandfather, My Step Grandfather, My Father, friends and other family members who have proudly worn the fez and helped make miracles happen for many many children.

I suppose when some people think of the Shriners, they think of a group of old men who party a lot, and wear the funny red Fez. To me, it’s a vision of security, of good memories…
Of good men.

The Shrine's official philanthropy is Shriners Hospitals for Children, a network of 22 hospitals that provide expert, no-cost orthopedic and burn care to children under 18. When they say “no cost” that’s really what they mean. No cost to the children or the families including travel and stay. The SHRINERS do indeed host a lot of parties, but the money raised at these parties is what keeps those 22 high tech hospitals functioning every day. It costs millions of dollars each day to keep a hospital running, and I’ve seen grown men reach into their wallets to dole out money for a silly square of toilet paper being sold by a new Shriner recruit at his fraternal initiation.

This image will always make me proud.

Posted by Hello


It will always remind me of my Grandfather. I don’t think he lived a day of his adult life to my knowledge without doing, wearing, or participating in something that had to do with the Shrine. My Father followed in his footsteps. They are good men doing good things.

This weekend happens to be initiation weekend for some 50 new candidates here in Savannah, and I just came from the parade where they march them through downtown as part of their initiation hazing. I missed having Little Man with me, to watch and learn what it means to have fun and be charitable.

...and tonight we will put on our formal attire to attend the ball, where these new Shriners will each receive their new sparkly,
Funny little red hats.

Bless each and every one of them.