Keeping up with the Joneses.
I’ve always been fond of a good theme party and birthdays are no exception.
When my son was old enough to utter an answer to the question “what kind of birthday party do you want this year?” I was happy to oblige. The second year celebration, was a “Blue one” according to his wishes, and blue invitations were immediately fashioned announcing the date, time, place and of course, attire. (yes…blue).
Blue streamers adorned the back yard along side of blue furniture, blue balloons, blue presents and birthday cake served on blue plates.
Each year after the next told of a different theme, interesting in it’s own décor and character. I was proud.
Tomorrow is my son’s 14th birthday wich is a good thing except that today he spent the whole day celebrating his friends Bat Mitzvah. Starting with a lovely ceremony and luncheon followed by an orchestrated dinner and dance at the Hilton Hotel.
The party “rocked” according to him as he pulled off his coat and tie. “She must have had 50 presents!” They danced, drank fancy non alcoholic strawberry daiquiris and won prizes for all sorts of things. This family easily spent thirty thousand dollars on the event, catering, décor, DJ, dance floor…you name it.
I suppose my son was feeling a little green with envy when he asked what we were going to do for his birthday tomorrow.
“Um…
Well…
The family is coming over to the house to eat some dinner and have cake.
Do you hear crickets?

|