Leather and Laundry
With Halloween right around the corner, and several party invitations looming on the agenda, I had to give some thought today about what I could be this year. I’d like to be a Wonder Woman of sorts, only I don’t particularly feel like a wonder woman these days. The flailing economy, a less than lucrative job and health that doesn’t seem to be what it once was has left me feeling something substandard to a kick ass superhero in red, white and blue. Quite frankly, I feel rather un-wonderful.
I’ve always wanted to be a wonder woman like Lara Croft. 
You know, to fight ninjas by day, then wash out a great outfit in my motorcycle helmet before a night out on the town. To look hot in leather pants and no other make up than a swipe of my favorite lip gloss.
Somehow my sensibility always gets in the way though when I try to plan feats of daring- do, and I end up staying home to clean the kitchen instead. Mostly because the dirty dishes in the sink are bothering me but also because it just wouldn’t be responsible, what with the mortgage payment due and all. I want carefree bravery and reckless abandonment, but what I have is unwavering reliability and the ability to stay calm in a crisis. There is no magic wrist band to help me get my kid to school on time or sort the laundry. Kick Ass just isn’t in my DNA.
If it were, I would totally rock. I’d opt for shiny black leather attire, some killer thigh high boots, and would wear my long glossy black hair in a ponytail. I’d never think about housework and I’d certainly not pay any bills. I’d just wink at the bill collectors as I stunned them with some clever retort, then ride off on my black and chrome Harley.
I guess that’s why I love Halloween so much. It gives me the opportunity to be someone and something else; to be the Bad Fairy, the pirate wench or the Belly Dancer, because for the rest of the year I’m just not that exciting.
What are you going to be for Halloween?

|