How things change...

As a twelve year old, stopping to appreciate the beauty and historical significance of Savannah to the South wasn’t particularly high on my priority list of fun things to do. Football games, tennis matches, and socializing with classmates always seemed more important at the time, and took priority more so than not.
I’d venture to say that I was, in fact, indifferent to my surroundings, not paying much attention at all to it’s rich cultural heritage
or it’s stunning moss hung trees dotted with dazzling flowers. Now I did enjoy St. Patrick’s Day and all it’s festivities, but that only came around once a year and wasn’t enough to hold my attention for very long. The city seemed too small, behind the times, and lacking in *something*
Needless to say, that after graduating High School, I left.
First it was off to college, and then to work in the metropolitan city of Atlanta. But when an opportunity to see the world while getting paid to do so, presented itself ….? How could I refuse? New York City called my name and I was, pardon the pun, gone with the wind.
I had a need to satiate. To travel, explore different places and see everything I could before I grew older and bound to responsibilities. Flying was one of the most rewarding jobs I ever had, and I would highly recommend it to anyone of a similar mindset and situation.
But then, as they always do, those very same responsibilities I was dodging, caught up with me and I quit my job as a Flight Attendant. Life landed me in Belgium and dealt me a hand which laid the foundation for the next ten years.
Finally in the year 2000 I returned to Savannah. I remember it well, because everyone was convinced we would die at the stroke of midnight on December 31st. Y2K was the CNN story of the moment and if I recall, people were hoarding tuna cans and water bottles in the garage and under their beds. 
I've been in Savannah ever since and as an adult It looks so different. Not so much in the actual appearance of the city itself, because Savannah is zoned to be historical from now until eternity. Not a single tree can come down, nor a building erected without much political paperwork and discussion.
Rather it looks different through my eyes.
It's a beautiful place to live, especially at this time of year when the weather is wonderful and the entire city is in full bloom. I grabbed my old digital camera today and headed out of the door, with the intention of sharing the love. I had appointments all over the place and took the opportunity to stick my camera out of the window at various moments to capture the debuting flowers.
This particular month draws in tourists by the thousands, and so it should as every street corner produces a spectacular sight to behold, and often times a breathtaking vision.
I’ll share a few of the photos, just keep in mind they were taken by sticking my camera out of the window. The flowers are just beautiful!
Tomorrow is once again St. Patrick's Day, yet even that looks different to me. The whole city will be green. People will wear green, eat green, drink green, and most likely end up looking a tad green after a full day of consuming green beverage. They will watch a green parade, barter for green beads, and regardless of whether they are actually Irish or not is neither here nor there. They will sport buttons stating “kiss me I’m Irish” anyways, and everyone will be happy.
Now I see it through the eyes of a Mom. I’ll dress my child up in green, look for the most family friendly area away from all the drunks where me and several other Mommies will watch the Shriner’s march by in the 3rd largest St. Patrick’s Day celebration of our country. I’ll worry about traffic accidents, and the safety of everyone around us, stay sober and make sure all the kids stay out of the street.
Then when the parade is over, i'll come home and cook a nice traditional dinner of corned beef, potatoes, and cabbage so it will be ready for my husband when he gets home from work. 
Yes, things have changed. They are the same...yet somehow very different.



|