I know how to dress myself...honest I do.
I’m just going to drop my son off at school this morning through the car pool line. No one will notice that I’m still damp from the shower, wet hair dripping down my back, and …oh…yes…here,…I’ll just throw on these ugly black penny loafers, with this white sweat shirt and maroon jogging pants, because they’re so easy to get on when I’m in a hurry, and gosh…we’re already few minutes late!
It’s not like anyone is going to see me this way…or even notice that I didn’t bother to put on socks with my shoes, because hey…I’ll be in the car right?
(5 minutes later in the car pool line, as the lower school principal courteously assists Little man open the car door).
Her: “Oh hi Mrs. Little Man, I don’t know if you remember or not, but this morning is our open portfolio viewing of the kids school work from this year? Everything is all set up in the classroom and the parents our invited to come in and take a look!
Me: “uh...(looking down at my irregular ensemble) …um…
Her: “I’m just reminding everyone, and don’t worry, ha ha ha…I’ve already sent a few parents in with near-pajama-like clothes on” she sais laughingly.
Alrighty then.
You can do this Suzanne. It’s your son’s hard work, sweat and tears on display in there and that’s far more important than your personal vanity isn’t it?
After parking the van, I pull down the sun visor for a quick glimpse in the mirror and a futile attempt to fluff my wet hair. I’d dab on a bit of face powder from my compact,…had I not left it in my purse back home, and If I pull the legs of my sweats down really low, it will cover up the sliver of glowing white ankle skin peaking out of these black, sockless shoes. Just suck it up girl and walk tall.
(Did I mention Little Man is Laughing at me?)
If Mrs. Lower School Principal sent any other parents into the building wearing “pajama-like” attire, they certainly went in and hid in a bathroom somewhere, because in my son’s classroom they were not. Oh no.
There were however, a dozen or so well dressed men and women sporting business suits, and coordinating footwear, oh-ing and ah-hing over their children’s accomplishments.
Breath in….Breath out.
Although my self confidence might have been waning just a bit, I’m nonetheless glad I went in. I got to see the beautiful picture of the Siamese cat Little Man painted, the poem he wrote about me explaining why he loved Holidays so much: (Because his Mom is a good ‘dekorater’), and the photograph of him holding an owl that was taken on their last fieldtrip to Oatland Island Wildlife Reserve.
I didn’t even flinch at the facial expressions on the parents around me who are accustomed to my appearance being a bit more pulled together. They just kind of giggled in a knowing fashion as to say… “Don’t worry honey, we’ve all been there before”.
It was great, and I’m glad that I got to see what he’s accomplished this last year!
Now if you’ll excuse me I need to go get dressed.

|