Tonight is For the Children
I've just spent the last hour reading all about the Tsunami victims and all of the children who are lost, wandering the disaster area in search of their mommies.
I'm just sick. I've tried not to mention it on my blog this last week, but there comes a time when my brain just over loads with emotion, and I can't find anything funny to write about or to even speak of. I am literally stricken with overwhelming empathy for these children.
I think of my own son being in that position. Lost, searching for me...scared and all alone. I just want to go there and scoop them all up, and somehow reassure them, that it will soon be ok. The problem with that idea is that it isn't ok now. And they need so much support and help that it boggles the senses.
There is currently a government block on all tsunami adoptions at the moment, based on the assumption that it is better to wait until the situation stabilizes, and all efforts to find extended family members have been exhausted. This assumption, that it is better to at least find a distant relative to raise these children, as opposed to totally uprooting them from their culture has merit I suppose, but how long will that take? One month? 6 months? A year?
In the meantime...who is holding the hands of those little ones. What will become of them during that period when they are forced to wait,...and search.
Life is very strange sometimes.
Very surreal.
I don't feel like writing much tonight so this is it for now.
I will follow in Flirt's example, and donate $1 for every comment left here on this blog post...and then some. It's the least I can do.

|